What is Halitosis?Halitosis refers to refers bad breath that can be caused by a number of different factors. At Spink Dentistry, we understand that not knowing the reason behind bad breath can be frustrating, which is why we have compiled a list to help patients better understand halitosis and how to treat it. Halitosis can be caused by:
- Dry Mouth is a common reason for bad breath. The lack of saliva causes bacteria that can cause bad breath. It is important to stay hydrated and consider other factors like what medication you're taking whether or not you're a smoker.
- Complex Dental Problems: Complex dental issues like gum disease and tooth decay can cause bad breath. It is important to visit Dr. Spink at Spink Dentistry so that he can properly check your mouth, teeth, and gums for any signs of complex dental
- Improper Oral Hygiene: Not practicing good oral hygiene can result in food particles turning into plaque and tooth decay, causing bad breath.
Treatment for HalitosisThere are some treatments that can help get rid of your bad breath. Birmingham dentist Dr. Spink can assist in determining which course of action is right for you.
- One of the best tools used to combat halitosis is routine visits (preventive dental care) to an experienced dentist. Family dentist Dr. Spink has many years of dentistry experience diagnosing and treating a broad range of dental issues.
- Brushing and flossing your teeth regularly can get rid of debris and bacteria that can lead to bad breath.
- Don't forget to brush your tongue during your regular oral hygiene routine. Bacteria can stick to the tongue causing bad breath.
- Keep track of the medications you are taking and see if any of the side effects include dry mouth. Dry mouth means the mouth isn't producing the right amount of saliva needed to keep your mouth healthy.
Posted in: Bad Breath