- Dry mouth or low saliva productivity
- Acid reflux
- Acidic and sugary foods and drinks
- A poor diet
- Poor oral hygiene
- Certain medical conditions
Signs of Dental ErosionThe signs and symptoms of dental erosion may vary from patient to patient. Some patients may experience symptoms like tooth sensitivity, tooth discoloration, and cracks and chips in the enamel. Teeth with dental erosion are more susceptible to developing tooth decay and cavities. In extreme cases of dental erosion, the nerve becomes exposed which may result in tooth abscess or dental infection.
Preventing Dental ErosionPreventing dental erosion can be done in a few different ways. Try to keep these key tips in mind throughout the day.
- Brush your teeth twice a day
- Floss your teeth daily
- Try to incorporate [rodcuts with fluoride
- If you do consume acidic or sugary beverages, try to sip through a straw to limit the amount of contact they have with your teeth
- Limit the amount of sugary or acidic foods and beverages you consume
- Chew sugar-free gum after eating to promote saliva production and limit the amount of acid that sticks to the teeth
- Drink water throughout the day and during meals
Schedule An AppointmentOnce dental erosion takes place, it can not be reversed. Once the enamel is damaged, it can not be restored naturally. Only a highly skilled dentist will be able to repair your enamel once it has been damaged. The treatment for teeth that have been damaged by dental erosion depends on the underlying cause of the dental erosion. Dr. Spink may be able to suggest treatments like dental crowns, dental fillings, or porcelain veneers to improve the appearance of your smile. After a detailed examination of your teeth, Dr. Spink can tailor a treatment plan based on your individual needs. To learn more about dental erosion and your treatment options, contact Spink Dentistry in Birmingham, AL. Dr. Spink can work with you to treat your smile and get you a step closer to a beautiful, healthy smile. Patients can call our Birmingham, AL to schedule an appointment or schedule an appointment online.
Posted in: Dental Erosion