When was the last time you switched out your toothbrush?
If you have to think about, it may be time to replace your toothbrush. Typically, patients use their toothbrush twice a day for 365 days a year. Your toothbrush us a vital part of your oral hygiene routine. Learning the proper way to take of your toothbrush can improve your oral hygiene routine and your oral health. For this month’s blog, Spink Dentistry will highlight the proper ways to take care of your toothbrush.
Taking Care Of Your Toothbrush
At Spink Dentistry we are dedicated to helping each of our patients achieve a healthier smile.
- Store your toothbrush away from the toilet. Airborne bacteria can reach your toothbrush and may be hazardous to your health.
- Store your toothbrush right side up to allow for proper drainage. A wet toothbrush can harbor bacteria and may even become a breeding ground for mold.
- When traveling with your toothbrush, store it upright and in a properly ventilated case. Try not to put a wet toothbrush in a toothbrush case. Allow for your toothbrush to drain before storing it.
- Replace your toothbrush every 3-4 months. You are using your toothbrush at least twice a day, every day. Over time, the bristles can wear down and begin to fray. The toothbrush is not able to perform its proper function.
- Thoroughly rinse your toothbrush after each use to remove debris.
- Periodically clean your toothbrush with an antibacterial mouthwash.
If you have any questions about your oral hygiene routine, contact Spink Dentistry in Birmingham, AL. Dr. Bruce Spink is a highly trained dentist who is passionate about patient care. We work with you to help you to improve your smile, make better oral health choices, and address any complex dental problems. If you would like to schedule an appointment, you can call 205.235.5043 or schedule an appointment online.
Posted in: Oral Hygiene